Search

Why Chocolate Is Bad For Dogs


Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, however it does depend on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate consumed and the type of chocolate consumed.


Why chocolate is bad for dogs has to with a chemical called theobromine. Humans easily metabolize this chemical whereas dogs do so at a much slower rate.


Large dogs can eat more than small dogs.


Chances are a small amount of chocolate will simply give your dog an upset stomach, some vomiting and diarrhea. Although not comfortable for your pet, nor for your nose, a small amount probably won't cause death.


With large amounts, theobromine can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack. The onset of theobromine poisoning is usually marked by severe hyperactivity.


The treatment for theobromine poisoning is to induce vomiting within two hours of ingestion,. If you are worried or suspect that your dog may have eaten a large quantity of chocolate and they are showing any of the signs listed above, call your veterinarian immediately.


If you have a small dog that has eaten a box of chocolates, you need to call and go to your veterinarian right away. Do not wait.


We actually had a chihuahua who once ate an entire Hershey's King Size bar! He immediately went to the vet, had vomiting induced and I spent the night on the kitchen floor, which was covered in puppy pads, praying he would make it through the night so I wouldn't have to explain to 4 year old Elizabeth her dog died!


Different kinds of cocoa can be worse than others. Dark, cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are all high in theobromine; whereas milk and white chocolate are relatively low in theobromine.


Wanting a special treat for your special pooch? Ask about our special order only carob bites: Poochables. Carob and cocoa butter.


0 views

©2020 by Sara May's Gourmet. Proudly created with Wix.com